We invite you to become a member of Island Synagogue. Our membership is comprised of people who come from all walks of life, and one of the prime tenets of the congregation is to make all new members feel like a part of the shul as quickly as possible. Membership dues are used to fund the operations budget of the shul: employee salaries, rent; shul-hosted kiddushim, the kids program, etc. Our membership costs are among the lowest of the synagogues in the greater Seattle area. There are no additional charges for High Holiday seats.
Please review the details below and contact us at email@example.com if you have questions about membership.
To join Island Synagogue, please complete the online member application form. Please do not submit any payments for membership until your application has been approved and you have been notified.
Dues are recorded on an annual basis and will be billed at the start of our September 1 fiscal year. You may choose to pay your dues in full at start of each year, or you may choose to be billed quarterly. You will be asked to make your annual dues commitment and billing selection at the start of each fiscal year.
During the second year of your membership you will be invited to contribute to our building fund.
Island Synagogue rates for 5777 (Sep 1, 2016 - Aug 31, 2017) are below. In keeping with the spirit of the shul, we ask you to support at the level that is financially feasible for you and/or your family. We do not ask for copies of your W-2 or IRS tax returns and your contribution will be kept confidential. Please consider the following categories when making your decision:
- BASIC membership at $1,750 per year
- BRONZE CHAI membership at $3,600 per year
- SILVER CHAI membership at $5,400 per year
- GOLD CHAI membership at $7,200 or above per year
- ASSOCIATE membership at $650 per year (available if you have a primary membership at another shul, but wish to support Island Synagogue, does not include voting rights)
- All full memberships are assessed an additional $110 annual security fee and associate memberships an additional $70 annual security fee.
- What you can afford - please contact the dues chairman at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss. No one will be turned away due to inability to afford a full membership.
Each member is charged basic dues unless they request a dues adjustment. For this fiscal year of September 1, 2016 to August 31, 2017, dues adjustments must be requested by October 15, 2016. No matter what you are able to contribute, your membership is valued. Since financial circumstances change, adjustments must be requested at the start of each fiscal year.
If you require a dues adjustment, please fill out the Request for Dues Adjustment 2016-2017 form by October 15, 2016. A member of the Dues Committee (currently, Ed Epstein and Randy Kessler) will contact you to either discuss your request, or to confirm your dues amount. Dues adjustment requests are confidential; they are only viewed by the Dues Committee and the Treasurer.
The Board of Directors has set a policy that dues are payable in full by September 30th each year unless another payment option has been arranged. Payment options are:
1. Payment by check of the full dues amount by October 15, 2016.
To select this option, once your membership has been approved, please send a check payable to Island Synagogue.
All funds should be remitted to: Island Synagogue, 8685 SE 47th St, Mercer Island, WA 98040.
2. Monthly payments via ACH (recurring bank account withdrawal). Members who select this option pay their dues in equal monthly payments, and are not assessed any fee. Payments may be made from either a checking or a savings account.
To select this option, please complete the Recurring Payment Authorization Form and return it per the instructions on the form.
ACH payments can be canceled or changed anytime, by notifying email@example.com.
3. Monthly payments or a one-time payment via credit card. Members who select this option are assessed a credit card convenience fee of approximately 2.75%. Like all shul donations, this fee is tax-deductible.
To pay by monthly payments via ACH (recurring credit card withdrawal) please complete the Recurring Payment Authorization Form and return it per the instructions on the form. Members who select this option pay their dues in equal monthly payments. ACH payments can be canceled or changed anytime, by notifying firstname.lastname@example.org.
To pay your dues via a one-time credit card charge, please login to your account on www.islandsynagogue.org, and pay your balance from the “My Account” screen.